Less priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Arnould

Reaction score
So I am now getting ready to bottle my 9% ABV Dogfish Head Midas Touch clone. I have reached terminal FG of 1.020, and I am planning on leaving these things away at room temp for 5 months (till July). Should I use less priming sugar, or the normal amount? I don't want to overcarb them.......Thanks!

Good question......I guess normal, or slightly less than normal, compared to what you would get in a standard ale. I am just worried about opening them in 5 months and having them gush everywhere.....

it doesn't matter how long you'll be leaving the beer before opening it, it only matters how much sugar you put in - seems like just over 4oz is right for this kind of beer. once the sugar is used up by the yeast, it can't produce any more CO2 no matter how long you leave it so you should be good. i envy you the ability to store a beer for so long, to be honest! i'd be taking quality control samples all the way

Got it, thanks! And generally, saving beer this long would be an impossibility. The only way I can keep from drinking this is the fact that it is a gift for the groomsmen in my wedding....

Back