Opinion on Cooler MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a Home Depot near you? The local HD stores near me have the 5 gallon coolers for $20 and the 10 gallon coolers for $40. It may be worth the extra $12 (over the one you are looking at) to just get the 10 gallon version now.

+1 on heading to a Home Depot and going 10g. If you don't now, you will later on (like I did). Assuming you're from the US...

I also agree with getting the 10 gallon cooler. I regret buying the 5 gallon at this point. Regarding the conversion, its the same process/parts whether the cooler is 5 or 10 gallons...

5gal Rubbermaid drink coolers work OK for 5gal batches (Its what I have been using). I would expect no problem with a 7gal cooler for nearly any 5gal brew.
The 10gal coolers are a little oversized for 5gal batches but will work just fine. And they can be used for 10gal batches if you decide to upgrade your brew kettle. Given the cost of 15gal brew kettles I will probably stick with 5gal batches and my 7.5gal turkey fryer for a while.

Craig

I disagree with Craig.

a 5 gallon cooler will only let you mash 12lbs of grain. so in order to do any big beers (basically over about 1.060 or so) you'd have to do two batch sparges.

Get the 10 gal. its big enough for any 5 gallon batch.

+1 on the 10 gal. Other posters suggested I go with 10 rather than 5. There's plenty of room in there for bigger grain bills.

Latest posts

Back