Imperial Pils: Any Advice on This Hop Schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makisupa

Reaction score
I had a My Antonia last month and thought it was great so I thought I'd take a pass at making a hoppy Bohemian Imperial Pilsner. Here's the recipe I've worked up and I want to use Saaz, Warrior, and Simcoe like Dogfish Head does. I'm just wondering if I've used them at the right times. See here:

16lbs Ger. Pils
1lbs CaraPils
2oz Saaz @ 60
2oz Saaz @ 30
2oz Warrior @ 10
2oz Simcoe @ 0

I'm using Wyeast's Bohemian Lager strain.

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to create a sense of urgency — I'm brewing this early tomorrow morning.

LOL! Nevermind. I forgot DFH continually hops. I'm going to make a mixture and throw the pellets in every 2-5 minutes or so.

How did this turn out? I just had this beer for the first time tonight and loved it.

Excellent! In fact, I brought it to my first homebrew meeting in October and the members were wow'd by it. One person mentioned how commercially successful it could be.

I continually hopped it like I stated in the one of my earlier posts. It was definitely a hop bomb but the malt profile was incredibly clean — think a well-made Heineken with Simcoe in your face. I took a look at my notes for you: brewed on 5/19/11, OG 1.072, FG achieved on 5/31 at 1.019, diacytel rest for three days then secondary for 3 weeks, put it on gas and tapped it right after.

I probably rushed the secondary process as the beer had very sharp flavor profiles to it. It was perfect by October as the flavors mellowed and blended well together.

What was your mash profile like. I know there are several different and complicated ways to mash. Also what were your temps for fermentation? Gonna try and brew little different version of this.

Thanks

Mashed at 154 for 60 minutes
Mashout at 168

Fermented at 50
Diacytel rest at 63
Conditioned at 38

OK. Brewed this yesterday. In the fermenter at 50 degrees. Gonna leave in for 2 weeks then diacytel rest for 3 days. How long should I condition for? Then what about bottling?

Thanks

Nice. Congrats! I did my diacytel rest after 12 days when the gravity reached 1.019. I rushed the secondary process and only did that for 3 weeks and then kegged it with gas. It was abrasive at first but it was perfect by October so that would have been about 4-5 months of conditioning. Then, I used a Blichman Beer Gun to bottle.

Thanks. I plan on lagering between 6-8 weeks. Then bottle and condition for anther 2 weeks. The recipe I used was actually one I found on another site. I bought the ingredients before I found this forum. It has more pale malt than pilsner. I boiled for 60 min and continually hopped every 10 min with Saaz, Magnum and Simcoe. Called for 1oz each of Saaz and Simcoe at 0. I used my hop rocket instead.

Batch Size 5.8 gallon (more like 5.5)
9 lbs pale malt
6 lbs pilsner
.5 lb crystal 40
7 oz corn sugar

.4 oz Saaz @ 60
.2 oz Magnum @ 60
.2 oz Simcoe @ 60

.2 oz Saaz @ 50, 40, 30, 20, 10
.1 oz Magnum @ 50, 40, 30, 20, 10
.1 oz Simcoe @ 50, 40, 30, 20, 10

1oz Saaz and Simcoe Hop Back

3 packages of Safelager W 34/70

If this doesn't work out the way I hopes I will try your recipe. Thanks again for input.

I have an extra 1oz. Is Saaz in my fridge. What do you think about dry hopping in secondary while lagering?

I don't think it needs dry-hopping because the continual hopping will make it VERY hop-forward; however, taste it at packaging and see what you think. I dug up my recipe just so you could compare:

Batch: 6-gal
Mash Time: 60-min + mashout
Boil Time: 90-min
16lbs Pils
1lbs Carapils
.35oz Saaz 60, 50, 40 30, 20, 10, 0
.18oz Simcoe 60, 50, 40 30, 20, 10, 0
.18oz Warrior 60, 50, 40 30, 20, 10, 0

Wyeast Bohemian Lager

Thanks. Got another week before diacytel rest. Maybe I'll save the Saaz for use in a Summer Wiezen I wanna try.

Ok. I now have this transferred to secondary and gradually lowering the temperature. Gonna pick up a chest freezer tomorrow. Hopefully one I find on Craig's list and hook up a temperature controller to it. I know what you mean about abrasive. I sampled some before transfer. Had a bit of a bite.

Malt was pretty good. The initial taste was kind of like cider but finished ok. I had a bottle of My Antonia the other day and it does have a slight bit of bite.

Back