Bottling Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drevilz4l

Reaction score
Ok I've made a hard cider, which is currently in my secondary fementer. I am waiting for the SG to get a little lower, but I would like to know what you usually bottle cider in. If I was going to use wine bottles, but was wondering how difficult the process of corking a wine bottle is. Thanks.

With a good corker, corking is no harder than capping a bottle. With a crappy corker (like say the plunger kind that you hit in with a mallet) and you will hate it.

That said, it is very easy to bottle cider too soon. Give it at least 2 months and wait until the SG has stopped moving completely.

Note you cannot bottle carb in a wine bottle. They will push the cork out if you are luck, and explode if you're not.

Right! You have lots of choices in some ways- beer bottles, champagne bottles, grolsch bottles with flip tops, wine bottles, etc. But if you are carbonating your cider, you're limited to beer bottles or champagne bottles. Wine bottles were not designed to hold pressure, and the cork will blow if there is any pressure. For champagne bottles, you need a specialized corker and cages.

For still cider (not carbonated), you can bottle in anything you choose. And you'll need a decent corker for wine bottles- sometimes LHBS rent them for a very low fee or even for free.

HI, i bottled my cider in 1lt lucozade PET bottles with a teaspoon of sugar in each and it was fab, in a week it was clear and fizzy also tasted great.:ban:

I carbonate mine and I like to use beer bottles. One 12 oz. bottle equals two nice glasses. After two glasses it's time for a beer.

Latest posts

Back