Hi, thinking about going AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prey

Reaction score
Hi, I've read the Palmer's guide on how to brew, but it seems like it's so complicated and everything is explained in too much detail. What I'm looking for is just a guide on what equipment is necessary, how to make it or buy it, and a step by step howto on the mashing process.
For example, one confusion I had was with the mash tun and what components it should have. I've seen pictures of just water coolers and I've also seen a SS pots setup.
Basically all grain is just heating the grains in water to a high temperature and letting the enzymes in the malt convert the starches to simple sugars right?

I've done 5 extract batches so far and would really like to cut down on costs of brewing (well, in the long term :)

Thanks, any help is appreciated. :mug:

If you have a home brew club near by, join it. Ask for an All Grain Mentor and help out at the next batch. I did that and it paid off very well. I learned lots and knew what I needed before I made the jump.

That cruisenews site really helped me a lot, too. Also, order a catalogue from Northern Brewer. They have some clearly written basic instructions there. Good luck! You will really enjoy yourself.

when i made the switch - i remember being very intimidated by the process. so i found a local homebrew club - and attended a member's brew session one Saturday.

i was hooked. and the process didn't seem so intimidating.

Also try:

http://www.schwedhelm.net/brew/howibrew.html

http://www.beerdude.com/howto_brew_allgrain.shtml

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue5.4/palmer.html

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/equipment.html

There is a lot to learn...but its quite intuitive...kinda like making a broth.....grind grains, add to mash tun where they are held in water for about 1 hr @ about 150-155 F......add measured amounts of water...drain into kettle...and then its business as usual until cooling (wort chiller).

I found the above links quite useful as they demystified the process.

Once you get the process kinda straight in your head.....check back with this board to get some good tips (like having 20% more sparge water on hand).

Cheers.

prey said:
Basically all grain is just heating the grains in water to a high temperature and letting the enzymes in the malt convert the starches to simple sugars right?

Nearly right, but there's a few gotchas. :)
First, you have to crush your grains. You can either buy the grains already crushed, or invest in a grain mill.
Second, you need to carefully adjust the temperature. The enzymes work best at temperatures between 148 and 158 F. Below those temperatures, the enzymes won't work their magic. Above those temperatures, you'll kill the enzymes, and they won't work at all.
Third, at the end of the mash, you are left with a big mess in your mash tun. :)
You need to sparge to extract the goodies out of this mess, leaving the spent grains behind.
Fourth, after sparging, you'll have about 6 - 6.5g wort that you will need to boil for 60 minutes minimum. If you are used to boiling on the kitchen stove, you will probably find it cannot boil 6+g of wort. You will need a propane burner, and a pot with at least 7.5g capacity.

-a.

Oh and I have another question, I'm planning to go the cooler mashtun route. Assuming I'm doing 5 gallon batches, how big does my mashtun have to be? The guy at the LHBS told me a 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler will be fine but something tells me otherwise. Suggestions?

prey said:
Oh and I have another question, I'm planning to go the cooler mashtun route. Assuming I'm doing 5 gallon batches, how big does my mashtun have to be? The guy at the LHBS told me a 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler will be fine but something tells me otherwise. Suggestions?
A 5 gal cooler is fine for recipes up to about 12 lbs of grain (i.e., SG = approx. 1.060 - 1.065). So if you want to brew bigger beers, you should consider a 10 gal cooler. You always hear of people that went with a 5 gal cooler only to find out that it wasn't big enough.

prey said:

Go with a 10 gallon. I bought a 5 gallon to start with and IMHO it is a pain in the ass. The 10 gallon I have now works so much better.

I just finished my cooler mashtun, it works great! :)
Thanks to you guys and people I chatted with on AIM, I can finally start mashing!

Back