I hate wheat beers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I must confess, I don't like wheat beer. They just don't do anything for me with all their funky, fruity flavors. I have tried, but I just can't get into them. I make them, try them and end up giving it all away.

There, I have said it and now I feel much better.

LMAO! To be honest, I'm not crazy about lagers, but there are some I like. I used to feel the exact same way about wheats, but lately (last couple years) my tastes have shifted towards them and I'm now obsessed with brewing a decent one.

I was the opposite. I made a bunch of wheats and even won some contests with them. I even used to favor that category when judging. But then I started to not like them at all. Maybe it was all those crappy contestant brews that did me in!

I can deal with wheats, but fark the raspberry-soda wheats! Gag me with a sugar cube.

Baron von BeeGee said:
LMAO! To be honest, I'm not crazy about lagers, but there are some I like.
I'm with you...with maybe one exception I haven't found a lager yet that I didn't think was putrid swill.

I can understand tho, how one could not like hefes. They're different, and sometimes the flavors are a little intense, and I could see how one could get burnt out on them, tho I'm not anywhere near there myself.

Brewpastor said:
I must confess, I don't like wheat beer. They just don't do anything for me with all their funky, fruity flavors. I have tried, but I just can't get into them. I make them, try them and end up giving it all away. There, I have said it and now I feel much better.

Good! More for me...:D :drunk:

I've been drinking them since '75. I think I've got a suds monkee on my back!

I've judged before myself, and IMO, there are a lot of BAD homebrews out there that the owners just rave over.:confused:

When you say "lagers" what beers are you speaking of? Like Golden Lager, or just lagered beer in general, or american barley pop?

Brewpastor said:
When you say "lagers" what beers are you speaking of? Like Golden Lager, or just lagered beer in general, or american barley pop?

I'm the same with with lagers. From ameriswill to dopplebocks. I just don't care for any lagered beer. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is.

As for your dislike of hefes, sounds like your palate is simply changing/evolving. I've also noticed that even though a hefe is generally one of the simplest beers to brew, it's very difficult to master. It takes some work to balance those flavors just right. I think controlling the ferment temps is probably one of the main keys to making a good one.

Brewpastor said:
Lagered beer in general. I can't put my finger on it either, other than to say they're just a little crisp or something. Which isn't to say I never drink them or enjoy them, just that given a choice I'll usually go for some type of ale. The taproom I usually hang at has a Spring seasonal pilsner called Pickelsticker that I like pretty well.

I am looking forward to the Anchor tasting this week...I haven't had that beer in several years, or a steam for that matter.

I'm a big lager fan. As it has been said many times, I'm a sucker for the High Life. But I also like a good hoppy german pils or a Pilsner Urquell as well. Great, refreshing brews.

Wheat beers, I'm all over those right now. I was a never a big fan of them until I went to Germany. Nothing like an authentic hefe while eating Jaegerschnitzel. That was heaven for me.

I like the American Wheats too. I'm now staying away from the fake fruity varieties out there though. It all just tastes fake, and that isn't good. On a hot day though, a Widmer or a Boulevard wheat cannot be touched. Except by High Life of course. :)

Well I like them both :)

I can see how Hefes are and aquired taste and how they may be difficult to master since there are so many process parameters (mash, fermentation, conditioning) that have a significant impact on the final product. That that makes mastering them so interesting. Well, I hope I can brew my first one this weekend ;)

Kai

I think I've got a suds monkee on my back!

You wish, Bro !:ban:

Only wheat beer I've ever had was a Michelob. Say what you will !
The description of bananna and clove flavors in wheat beers doesn't sound appealing, but I'm willing to try.
It's the rare beer that I don't like.

Dude said:
I'm now staying away from the fake fruity varieties out there though. It all just tastes fake, and that isn't good. On a hot day though, a Widmer or a Boulevard wheat cannot be touched. Except by High Life of course. :)

It's wierd the only wheat beer I like is Lienie's Berry Weis. As a matter of fact I'm drinking one right now. I just don't like the taste of most wheat beers. And I hate that I don't like all beers. I just think that I should respect each characteristics of everybeer. Damn!!

i wouldnt say i HATE them, i dont think enough of them to hate them, but i dont like them.

im not sure ive ever had a german type one either. heres my list of wheats ive tried and didnt want to drink more then one pint of:

sam adams
pyramid
anchor

Last summer my local bar over-ordered the sam adams, and it didnt run out untill christmas! Since thats the only good beer they have on tap, i grudgingly drank the crap out of that beer, and it never grew on me.:ban: :ban: :ban:

Bjorn Borg said:
i wouldnt say i HATE them, i dont think enough of them to hate them, but i dont like them.

im not sure ive ever had a german type one either. heres my list of wheats ive tried and didnt want to drink more then one pint of:

sam adams
pyramid
anchor

Weihenstephaner, Palauner, and Franzikaner are all pretty easy to find in the HR area. All are good examples, but I like Weihenstephaner the best. Make sure it's a hefe....none of the foo-foo kristal weissen stuff.

I know I'm always pimping this beer, but if you want a monster of a wheat, get some Aventinus. I'd recommend drinking the standard hefe first, though. ;)

As I was reading, I thought Bill might have you bounced for what I thought he'd perceive as heresy. He went another angle though. :D

Does your dislike of wheat beers include witbiers too?

For those lager bashers, can I gain entrance to that club?

Dude said:
I'm a big lager fan. As it has been said many times, I'm a sucker for the High Life. .....

... On a hot day though, a Widmer or a Boulevard wheat cannot be touched. Except by High Life of course. :)

Well.. it is, after all.. "The Champagne of Beers."

I would just love Hefes except for the taste. Just can't get into the taste. Otherwise it is a wonderful beer.:cross:

Back