Any reason to use a hydrometer......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Hammer

Reaction score
New guy question.
After reading hoppersailors thread on leaving beer in the primary for a long time I am thinking more about 123 brewing rather than worring about what the hydrometer says. Patience is a virtue right? Other than confirming that fermentation happened is there really any reason to check it other than for the OG and FG?

Thanks
Bob

No, gravity readings are the only reason for using a hydrometer. The gravity readings help to determine efficiency & ABV as well.

(EG?)

I don't understand the reason to cut this corner. Taking gravity readings is about the easiest part of brewing and the information it gives us is invaluable.

EG should have been FG.
I'm not saying not to take the OG and FG readings. I'm saying what difference does it make to keep taking measurements to see if your fermentation is complete as some books say rather than just wait. Other than time what is the drawbacks?
Keep in mind I'm new to this but... what information would I need from the hydro other than OG and FG?

Thanks

There is a preboil gravity usefull in determining efficiency if you are brewing all grain. As far as I know those 3 are it. Preboil, OG, & FG. There may be other reasons but a stalled ferment comes to mind as a reason to take FG readings. ABV % is another good one.

If you follow 123 you should still use a hydrometer since some beers ferment slow and you want a beer on the yeast at least a few days before racking it.

If you do 3-3 (or longer for bigger beers) there's no real need since any moderate strength beer will be done fermenting in three weeks. If there's a stuck fermentation you can tell when you've waited a while and the beer isn't bubbling and it still tastes sweet without a hydrometer.

I argue (and others do too) against this 1-2-3 thing. 1 week on the yeast isn't enough to let the yeast clean up their byproducts after fermentation if it's done. Also, I've had more than one beer, both low and high gravities, take longer than 7 days to ferment out completely with healthy pitches of yeast.

A hydrometer tells you if things are running smoothly. Otherwise you are wandering in the dark. It is a very useful tool. Use it.

PseudoChef said:
I argue (and others do too) against this 1-2-3 thing. 1 week on the yeast isn't enough to let the yeast clean up their byproducts after fermentation if it's done. Also, I've had more than one beer, both low and high gravities, take longer than 7 days to ferment out completely with healthy pitches of yeast.

+1

I typically follow a 3-x-3 rule, where x ranges from 0 to 3 depending on the gravity of the beer and the time I have for bottling.

I measure the gravity the first time after about 10 days in the primary. If its close enough to my target FG, I don't bother taking the gravity again.

Back on topic...Your hydrometer is how your beer speaks to you. It how it tells you it needs help or that its finished and is OK to bottle.

Revvy said:
This is a cool statement, and dead on!!!

Thanks. I should give proper attribution here to BierMuncher. I think it was him who I first heard say the words "Your hydrometer is how your beer speaks to you." Wish I could quote an exact post, but I'm to lazy to search for it (he has thousands of them, you know).

Back