Using Geletin and Bottling vs. Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to use some Geletin to brighten up my batch of Aberdeen Session Haus Ale. I don't keg, and I've gone 2.5 weeks in my primary. If I rack to a secondary with Geletin for another week, will the Geletin kill or flock out all the remaining yeast? I want to prime these with corn sugar after a week in the 2ndary. I just didn't know if the Geletin would hurt the yeast and only kegger's can use the Geletin solution.

Thanks!

If you want a clear beer, I've heard that secondary for a week isn't the way to go. You'd probably be better off leaving it in the primary for another week instead of stirring up the yeast... You kicking up things that have settled over 2.5 weeks and taking a step backwards to what will settle in one week. I'm no pro, just relaying what I've heard...

I just started using geletin, and have had great sucess. I don't rack into secondary, just a primary for 2 weeks. About 3 days before bottling, I add the geletin, and gently sitr to distribute. I do kick up some yeast, but the geletin will take care of that. I also put the carboy in a large tub that has water and ice packs to cold crash it, which might be helping the poteins together and drop to the bottom. From listening to John Palmer (brewing network), there will still be plenty of residual yeast in suspension. My last brew was a Green Flash clone, and it was about as clear as a beer from the store.

If you want a clear beer, I've heard that secondary for a week isn't the way to go. You'd probably be better off leaving it in the primary for another week instead of stirring up the yeast... You kicking up things that have settled over 2.5 weeks and taking a step backwards to what will settle in one week. I'm no pro, just relaying what I've heard...

This makes no sense. By that logic, you are kicking up the same sediment in the primary when you rack at bottling/kegging time, so it's a moot point.

When you rack, if you are careful about what you are doing, the crap on the bottom should remain undisturbed for the most part. If you rack to secondary for some amount of time before packaging, this would seem to result in a much lower probability of ending up with crud in the final product, since you've essentially removed the beer from most of the sediment in a previous step.

Well, I am a 3-4 week primary(ing) sort of guy and I have never use gelatin so I thought I would try it and go ahead and rack to a secondary this time. I'm glad experience with adding gelatin to the primary near bottling is successful maybe I'll try that another time. Also, I am aware of the stirring up of yeast issues and I am a pretty good racker :) so I'm not worried about that. I have the primary elevated so I just need to carefully take the top off and autosiphon into a secondary with dissolved gelatin. I'm glad there will be plenty of yeast left for bottle priming. Thanks for the help!

:mug:

I usually primary for 3 weeks, then I add the gelatin directly to primary and cold crash for one week. Haven't had any problem bottle conditioning my beers. If anything, I've found that with all the extra dissolved CO2 in the beer from the cold crashing, that my bottles actually seem to carb faster.

I primary for 3 weeks and then cold crash for a week at about 38 degrees. Stopped racking to the secondary some time back but to be fair most of my brews are light to mild. About the third day into the crash I add the gelatin. I've discovered that adding it to the cold crashed brew seems to work much better. This has given me the clearest beers I've made.

Back