What hops for a light rye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I'd like to concoct a light, American rye style beer, but with German or noble hops. As a starting point I'm thinking of something along these lines:

8.25 lb Pale 2-row
1 lb rye
0.5 Crystal 20L

1 oz Hallertau FWH - about 8 IBU
1/8 oz Nugget (12.5% AA) 60 min - about 8 IBU
1.5 oz Liberty or Crystal 20 min - about 10 IBU
1.5 oz Halelrtau @ flame out

I don't want the rye to be too strong, so I'm looking at 10-15%. I'm considerting switching out the 2-row for Pilsner malt for a lighter feel. Basically I'm looking for a light beer with a bit of rye spice, and a nice balance of spicy/earthy hops. Looking at around 1.045-1.047, and 25-30 IBU.

Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Or add some flaked rye so that you get a smooth and creamy beer. I used Mt. Hood once, it is barely there. I really liked it when I used Willamette or Fuggles in my light rye beer. I hopped one to 20 and one to 40. The higher IBU brew was more balanced, though I could drink the lighter one a lot faster.

I like to use spicy hops (saaz, spalt) in my rye beers as I find it really complements the spicy character of the rye. It think an earthy/woodsy hop would tend to mute the rye character - if this is the direction you want to go. Same for yeast, the more clean and neutral, the more the rye comes through. I make a rye beer with a trappist yeast and it needs to age for several months for the yeast and rye to finally get along - it's worth the wait though.

I was also thinking of using Saaz and Spalt actually instead, so I'm gald you brought that up. And to start I was just going to ferment with nottingham and go from there.

I do a Rye Pale with Sterling and Willamette that I think is pretty damn good (it's in my drop-down). It's usually the beer that visitors take to to most and fastest. Like others have said, the earthy/spicy notes of Saaz and other noble-type hops really work well with rye.

At home on my lunch break, and here's how I've revised it:

8 lb Pale malt (80%)
1.5 lb rye malt (15%)
0.5 lb crystal 20L (5%)

1 oz Saaz FWH for 7 IBU
0.25 oz Nugget @ 60 min for 13 IBU
1 oz Select Spalt @ 20 min for 7 IBU
1 oz Saaz @ flame out

Nottingham yeast

Looking at 1.048 OG, and 27 IBU, for a biterness ration of about 0.55.

Perle and liberty have a spiciness that lends themselves to use with rye. That being said, I think the Saaz and Spalt in your recipe would be great.

Latest posts

Back