skunk in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcginness

Reaction score
hi all,

this is my first post but i've been lurking for a bit.

i have a batch in my primary that is giving off a real strong skunk smell. i pitched the yeast on friday, two days ago, the lag was about 6 hours. i used some of the slurry from my last batch (lager) as the starter.

the recipe was
12lbs of lme
4 lbs crystal malt
4 oz hallertau hops (hole)
6.5 gallons at completion
4 gallon boil, with a 2.5 gallons of boiled and neer frozen spring water to cool wert down to pitching temp. and a cold sink bath to cool down the 4 gallons of wert in the pot. i had it to 80 deg. in 30 min or so. its fermenting at 58 degrees now.

i used all my normal sanatary methods. never had a beer give off this kind of stink before.

any ideas?

thanks

hi all,

this is my first post but i've been lurking for a bit.

i have a batch in my primary that is giving off a real strong skunk smell. i pitched the yeast on friday, two days ago, the lag was about 6 hours. i used some of the slurry from my last batch (lager) as the starter.

the recipe was
12lbs of lme
4 lbs crystal malt
4 oz hallertau hops (hole)
6.5 gallons at completion
4 gallon boil, with a 2.5 gallons of boiled and neer frozen spring water to cool wert down to pitching temp. and a cold sink bath to cool down the 4 gallons of wert in the pot. i had it to 80 deg. in 30 min or so. its fermenting at 58 degrees now.

i used all my normal sanatary methods. never had a beer give off this kind of stink before.

any ideas?

thanks

Lager yeast fermented at ale temperatures does stink. I've never heard that's it like a skunk smell, but sulfury and strong.

Dude! RDWHAHB! Your beer is going to stink from the get go. Yeast does pretty funky things to beer and smells bad during the process. Leave it alone for 3-4 weeks (no peeking) and let it do its thing. Im sure that after this when you go to bottle it, your sample will taste like beer. Very green beer, but Im sure you will be surprised :)
-Me

I just looked at your ingredient list as well. Wow, that looks like a heavily hopped/malted beer for that volume. I would let it sit for some time to mellow out.
-Me

I just looked at your ingredient list as well. Wow, that looks like a heavily hopped/malted beer for that volume. I would let it sit for some time to mellow out.
-Me

yes, that's true. i had some extra crystal malt that i forgot to add to the last batch so i used it in this one. as for the hops, i thought it might help to ballance the extra malt. a tasty experiment. i hope.

i'll let it lager in the garage in a secondary for a month two and condition in the bottle as well.

Lager yeast fermented at ale temperatures does stink. I've never heard that's it like a skunk smell, but sulfury and strong.

i'll see if i cant cool it down a bit. the garage is in the 35-45 deg. range.

thanks for the input fellas.

Nobody's mentioned this, but has the beer been in sunlight at all? Isomerized hop oils and UV radiation don't mix, they turn into the same chemical that comes out of a polecat's ass. That's why Corona has a skunk smell to it.

58º is fine for primary fermentation for lagering.

Nobody's mentioned this, but has the beer been in sunlight at all? Isomerized hop oils and UV radiation don't mix, they turn into the same chemical that comes out of a polecat's ass. That's why Corona has a skunk smell to it.

58º is fine for primary fermentation for lagering.

it did not get much exposure to sunlight. i have a towel covering the carboy. i did use some polecat's ass extract in my last batch. so maybe there's some residual.

all and all i'm not too worried about the stink. i was just curious about potencial causes for my yeast's farts to smell so skunky.

Back