No DME - Using wort for a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durbo

Reaction score
Hi all, I did a brew yesterday and was going to do up a yeast starter to pitch the next day (I realise this is the wrong way round), but then found out I have no DME at present.

Can I just bring out some of my wort that I prepared, and use that in my starter or is there a particular reason I should get some DME asap.

Cheers

You preferably want some light wort at about 1.038 -1.040. No hops, but probably not critical. You can actually save $$ by using cheap base grains rather than DME. In the future I plan to use a cheap 2 row and can some wort in 1 liter increments to store and make starters with.

I always have frozen wort on hand for this sole purpose. Saves time and money. All I do is defrost and dilute ( since I freeze 16oz bottles of 1.111 wort) boil it for 5mins or so and am done.

Yes you can, another reason why AG rules.

I often do what you are proposing- as my BK sits on my stove overnight to cool down to pitching temps ("no chill"), I give my yeast a final warm up.
It is called Real Wort Starter (RWS).
cheers!

Yes you can, another reason why AG rules.

I often do what you are proposing- as my BK sits on my stove overnight to cool down to pitching temps ("no chill"), I give my yeast a final warm up.
It is called Real Wort Starter (RWS).
cheers!

BK ? I assume it's your wort prior to pitch/ferment. Do you have a sealed or pressurized cover ?

Back