Attachment to Flush CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LabRatBrewer

Lost in a Maze
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It is easy enough to flush a keg with Co2 by connecting the gas line to the keg. However, in reading the forums, I see some people are flushing their bottles with Co2, and even their fermentors. My question is, what type of attachment do you use on the gas line to flush out things like bottles. I think some sort of nozzle like I have on my air compressor would work. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

I use the all brass airline QD's from Harbor Freight. This also allows the use of an "air gun" attachment. I think flushing bottles is a waste but I do flush the fermenters/carboys out with it as well as my filter lines/housing.

The poor man's solution is to just hook up and empty keg with a picnic tap on it, lol. A bottle wand will fit right in the end of the picnic tap. I've done it that way more than once.

Thank you Zamial, I search HF, and the parts are cheap.

And thank you TomSD, for the poorman's solution. That will do the trick for now.

Two great answers in less than ten minutes, I love these forums.

Albert

Of course the not-so-poormans version is a Blichmann beergun. One hand operation...press one button to purge with co2, squeeze the trigger to fill the bottle.

Or just cap on foam and that will take care of the oxygen in there.

To clarify though I don't flush growlers/bottles. I just chill them and fill them to the top then cap them on foam. I've never really seen a need to do my fermenter either though I do do my keg before filling it whether it be for a secondary or getting ready to carb.

Why flush the fermenter? Fermentation needs oxygen.

Storage. Nothing says,"I am ready to go" like a fermenter that has been rinced with starsan and then purged with CO2. FYI I ferment in sanke kegs...and this is not done often...I probabbly should not even have mentioned it as it seems to have caused some confusion...sorry 'bout that!

I mainly purge the receiving keg (unless I did that previous as above.)

Why flush the fermenter? Fermentation needs oxygen.

Well, there's secondary fermentation, where O2 is a bad thing, so I purge my carboy before transferring from primary. The CO2 rig for my keezer has a second (primary) regulator body with a long gas line to an MFL-connected QD for purging kegs, so when I need to purge a carboy for secondary I just remove the QD and use the hose...

Cheers!

Back