Amarillo and/or Centennial for SMaSH and pale ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I ended up with several ounces each of Amarillo and Centennial pellets. Right now I'm more interested in making pale ales and SMaSH ales, and I have been using Cascade exclusively. My next two brews are going to be Maris Otter and Vienna SMaSH ales. Should I use the Centennial or the Amarillo? Are these hops suitable for late additions or are they just for bittering?

Why not try one of each? That way you can get a good feel for what each one tastes like.

I have done an all Amarillo ale that was very tasty. I also use Centennial a lot but never have done a brew using it as the only hop.

Well, I want to make a Maris Otter and Vienna SMaSH to evaluate the malts. If I use different hops for each, I feel like it might compromise the comparison because the balance could end up different. If I want to test both malts so if I also want to test both hops I will have to brew 4 batches.

Back