Priming sugar and extra yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggityz

Reaction score
I'm lagering a bock right now so it's going to lager for a total of 2 months...I pitched 2 packets of saflager w34/70 and im planing on adding about 1/4 packet of some nottingham yeast before i bottle..i did a priming sugar calculator and it said I should add about 4 oz of corn sugar to prime...but should i adjust it because i am adding more yeast to aid in priming? or just forget about the extra yeast and just add the 4oz of sugar?

If you decide to add more yeast it wouldn't require more sugar. However w/o filtering you'd never remove enough yeast to require adding more. Just add the sugar and you're g2g.

1) You do not need to add any more yeast. There will be plenty still in suspension. You only need to think about adding yeast if you are close to the abv limit of the yeast, or have been conditioning the beer for about a year.

2) Extra yeast will make no difference to that amount of priming sugar you should use.

3) 4 ozs of corn sugar seems low. I assume you used a calculator to get that. The temperature you enter in the calculator should be the maximum temperature the beer has been at after fermentation has slowed down, not your lagering temperature.

Back