What paper are you using for labels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picobrew

Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am vaguely interested in printing some labels, but what is holding me back is the notion that they will look terrible because of the paper. Are any of you able to achieve labels that resemble commercial labels with an inkjet printer? Are they moisture resistant at all? What paper/ink/settings are you using? Photo paper?

I hear that Avery shipping labels are ok, but there's always going to be a problem of the ink running when there's no moisture barrier between the condensating bottle and the ink. What I'm probably going to do, as another user here does, is make bottle tags (like the "do not disturb" tags you put on your door knob). That way, I just slide one on each of the bottles and don't have to worry about soaking the label off afterwards. Saves on ink, too.

Labels printed on an inkjet will smear when they get wet regardless of what material you print them on. You have to spray them with some kind of clear coating to prevent this. I've successfully used Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear from the hardware store. The drawback is, they don't really look very professional with that shiny gloss coating and it's hard to find high quality photo paper that's thin enough to make a decent label.

The best method for me is to print out a high quality 8.5"x11" master on photo paper using your inkjet. Then take it to Kinkos and make copies on their color copy machine for $0.49 a pop. With a little advance planning, you can design your labels to fit 6, or even 8 to a page. I only put labels on the bottles I give away so two or three pages is usually sufficient. The stock paper in the tray is thin and has a decent semi-gloss coating. As an extra bonus, they have a good paper slicer too so you can cut up the labels without messing with the scissors. It also helps to add cut lines to the master to make it easier to align on the big paper slicer.

The final amazing trick is to dip a cotton ball into plain milk, liberally wipe it on the back of the label and stick it on the bottle. I was skeptical at first but it is the best label glue ever.

I print my labels on the lazerjet at work or regular paper and they look pretty pro. They aren't as good as some profession labels, but they are close to free and do not run. I label all my beer bottles so I want them to look nice.

Presentation Paper, matte finish, is a tad heaver than the regular stuff, holds the Krylon well, and looks pretty good. Holds up fine in a fridge, won't hold up in an ice chest for long.

I have used the Avery labels but Iam thinking about getting some of these: Beer Bottle Labels - Custom Personalized Beer Bottle Label - OnlineLabels.com

I wouldn't get those. I got the half wrap labels, and since there is no spacing between the top and bottom, it is impossible to get the printer to align perfectly. We had to feed 1 sheet at a time and it was impossible to get it perfectly aligned. This was at Kinkos. I had to trim each label. I got the regular white matte material. While they look very nice, they do not come off very easy. In an OxyClean bath it would peel part of it off, but leave the adhesive and some paper behind, and it's harder to get that off. If you're not worried about de-labeling them, I would get the full 8x11 adhesive label. It's cheaper, and you can just print and cut. Hope that helps anyone thinking about those.

Latest posts

Back