Effects of pitching yeast from cold to warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchar19

Reaction score
I've always heard about the ill effects of pitching yeast from hot to cold (say a 78 degree starter into a 60 degree wort). What about pitching a cold yeast starter into warmer wort (ex. a 40 degree starter into 65 degree wort). Will this 20 degree or so shift in temperature negatively affect the yeast?

Not at all. A lot of folks cold crash starters in the fridge the night before brew day. It wouldn't hurt to pull it out of the fridge and let it warm up for just a bit before you pitch it though.

Do not pitch with temperature differences greater than 15F. Temper the starter by adding small amounts of wort to the starter over a period of 30 min or so. I pitch when the temps are within a few degrees of each other.

helibrewer said:
Do not pitch with temperature differences greater than 15F. Temper the starter by adding small amounts of wort to the starter over a period of 30 min or so. I pitch when the temps are within a few degrees of each other.

^I'm with stupid.

If your starter and wort are within 15f, you're good to go. Will you notice a difference pitching with 20f difference? Probably not unless you had two batches and pitched exactly the same amount of yeast into each, one with a big temp difference, one matched.

Yeah I was kind of thinking that the temperature of the starter and the wort should be in close proximity. I guess this comes from my fish keeping hobby. Since yeast are living organisms I kind of figured that they would be similar to fish as in you shouldn't subject them to large temperature changes.

Back