How much mash can a mash tun mash? Need Help for Tomorrow's Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_pants

Reaction score
Ok so I'm just about to take on my first AG brew tomorrow. The yeast is percolating hapily in its starter and I'm reviewing the recipe to make sure I have everything I need to get started and now I'm nervous.

I'm doing the BYO Aventinus Weizenbock (http://byo.com/recipe/714.html) and I need to mash 13.5 pounds of grain in 4.25 gallons of water... Will this all fit in my 5 gallon (cylinder cooler) tun? I'm having a hard time getting my brain around how the volume of the grain will work with that much water... Can I mash with less water than that? Would I need to? Can I reduce the amount of grain and mash water proportionally to better fit the cooler?

I know the easy answer is get a bigger tun, and for the next batch I definitely will, but I don't have the resources for this one... Please help!

There's several threads on this. Looks like people do 15 lbs at 1 quart per pound in a five gallon cooler. Seems like a real squeeze though and with all that wheat, tarball time. Maybe reduce everything 20% and do a 4 gallon batch?

seanhagerty said:
http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Check this out, you can determine if you have enough mash tun volume

Sean

Nice link was going to bookmark it but i can't see what ratio of water to grain they are using, prob just missed it cos i had a few home brews. If anyone more sober than me spots it or knows the answer please post it. Cheers :mug: .

You have probably already brewed. I think you can cram your recipe into that small mashtun and if you fly sparge and stir it while sparging you can probably make it work albeit somewhat inefficiently. I went to a 15.5 gal keggle for my mashtun and never looked back. It works great for all sorts of batch sizes. I can even do close to a 15 gal batch, fly sparging and babysitting the boil that is close to the top of the keggle boil kettle.

Back