Maris Otter or Golden Promise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lothian

Reaction score
I'm planning a 100% pale malt, all homegrown goldings English IPA to highlight this year's goldings harvest, and I'm wondering whether Maris Otter or Golden Promise would be better. I know its subjective, I'm just curious what peoples opinions are. Maybe Ashburne? Any thoughts on this, or any other suggestions would be much appreciated. I plan to use Safale S-04, and go relatively easy on gravity and bitterness. (maybe 1.058-60), with appropriate to IPA, but not crazy bitterness.

-Lothian

chew on them,see what you think.Both are good,english vs.scottish.Get them both.Brew a split batch.

I'm planning a 100% pale malt, all homegrown goldings English IPA to highlight this year's goldings harvest, and I'm wondering whether Maris Otter or Golden Promise would be better. I know its subjective, I'm just curious what peoples opinions are. Maybe Ashburne? Any thoughts on this, or any other suggestions would be much appreciated. I plan to use Safale S-04, and go relatively easy on gravity and bitterness. (maybe 1.058-60), with appropriate to IPA, but not crazy bitterness.

-Lothian

Golden Promise all the way! Ashburne would also be a good one.

Golden Promise for sure. Support the Scotts, and f*ck the British!
Er... Scotland is part of Great Britain.

To the OP, I guess it depends on whether you want the beer to be 'authentic' or not. I had never heard of Ashburne before but this seems to be a US variety. My understanding is that IPAs used English malts so MO would be the way forward if you wanted an 'authentic' IPA. I haven't used any English pale malt other than MO (it's the cheapest and most widely available malt here in the UK).

You do know the Scotish part of the UK absolutely hates the British proper in the south don't you? That's the overwhelming opinion I found when I visited. They resent being part of the UK and consider themselves to be a separate people, it's been that way for centuries.

Everyone hates the English, although this isn't particularly relevant as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are still part of Britain. Now, if you'd said support the Scots and f*ck the English, that would have made sense ;)

I lived in Scotland for a year and generally visit 3 or 4 times a year as I have a lot of family up there.

Anyways, to keep this thread on track, what do people consider the differences between Maris Otter and Golden Promise to be?

And is there a significant difference between US 2-row and something like Maris Otter? Per my previous post, MO is pretty much the most widely used pale malt in UK homebrewing as far as I can gather, but I see recipes on this site call for a few ounces of MO in a predominantly US 2-row grain bill. Does it really impart that much of a flavour?

Everyone hates the English, although this isn't particularly relevant as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are still part of Britain. Now, if you'd said support the Scots and f*ck the English, that would have made sense ;)

I lived in Scotland for a year and generally visit 3 or 4 times a year as I have a lot of family up there.

Anyways, to keep this thread on track, what do people consider the differences between Maris Otter and Golden Promise to be?

And is there a significant difference between US 2-row and something like Maris Otter? Per my previous post, MO is pretty much the most widely used pale malt in UK homebrewing as far as I can gather, but I see recipes on this site call for a few ounces of MO in a predominantly US 2-row grain bill. Does it really impart that much of a flavour?

No it doesn't unless you use it all, I love both, but i prefer the more mellow flavor of Golden Promise. Both are great choice, i also Like Pearl and Hyclon as long as they are floor matted, which does make a difference. Ashburne Mild is an America 2 row that is treated and malted the way the English do it, it was actually designed to make the Mild Style, so it isn't really "typical" for an IPA, but anyone that knows my brewing style knows i rarely brew Typical lol.

Latest posts

Back