Saison Recipe Question - Leave Incomplete Spices Out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddmuchmore

Reaction score
I'm planning on making the Saison Du Mont recipe from the 2009 big brew day which can be found at: Big Brew Recipes.

My question is in regards to the spice bill. Here are the spices that the recipe calls for:

Spices
0.5 oz (14 g) crushed coriander, 0 minutes
0.5 tsp (2 g) grains of paradise, 0 minutes
0.25 oz (7 g) Curacao (sweet) orange peel, 0 minutes
0.25 oz (7 g) Valencia (bitter) orange peel, 0 minutes

My problem is that at my LHBS, they only have coriander and sweet orange peel. So my question is, do you think I should go ahead with just those two spices or leave the spices out all together?

Thanks for your input!

Todd

Get the grains of paradise at a grocery store in the spice section. It's MUCH cheaper. Use one gram instead of two. Use the zest from on whole organic valencia orange and the zest from one quarter of an organic grapefruit. Don't use the dried crap from the brew store. Go to an asian oe Indian market and get the Indian coriander and crush it. They look like little footballs and have a more floral aroma and taste. The other stuff is grassy.

Back