Red Bine? Anyone see this before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
Got this one from my local brewery. The guy said it was some sort of Cascade hybrid that only grows in the shade. Well, I planted it in partial shade and it's doing fantastic.

But it's unlike any hop I've seen. The bine is probably about 4 times thicker than anything I've ever seen (almost the size of a US dime!) and it's red with light green leaves.

Anyone know what variety this is or have seen it before? (It's about a 3 year old rhizome)

shadehop2.jpg

shadehop3.jpg

And just for ****s and giggles, here's a 4 year old one that I received as well (Possable canidates for the type: Cascade, Mt. Hood, or Saaz)

mainhop2.jpg

My Mt Hood started off real thick and a little red like yours, but yours being the size of a dime is huge. Mine were about pencil thick. Once they got about a foot high, they started greening up

I hope it's Canadian RedVine instead of Sunbean...Sunbeam sounds kinda crapy.

Would you guys say the leaves in the picture look lemon yellow or light green (I know color will vary from monitor to monitor).

Light Lemon Green?

I'd say wait it out. Let it flower, dry em, and try em. Maybe your soils will give it something different and make it worthwhile. Maybe not.

Anything at this point would be speculative.

My Centennial bine has started out red. Looks like a medium size red asparagus right now.

As have my Brewers Gold, Crystal, Tradition, Magnum, Zues, and Sterling.

I think most all of mine have started red and eventually greened up after some sun exposure.

The only variety that I grow that has broken ground and is green is Hallertau. The Cascade, Mt. Hood, and Centennial are all red now. They'll green up as they mature. Except for maybe the cent. Last year was it's first and it had some pretty red bines with some green areas all the way up.

The string looks like more of a hinderance than a help, they will mostly train themselves. Kind of like a cat.

Plants in the Spring often sprout with a red color because the ground temperatures are too low for it to process minerals in the soil that aid in photosynthesis. As soon as the ground warms, the plant turns green.

This is what Sunbeam looks like. Note the bine and the leaves are almost the same yellow-green.

img_1500.jpg

My bine that is red does get shade from a privacy fence on the west side of it later in the day, the other is in full sun all day.

Liberty is also red, maybe a little more purple, and persists throughout the season, not just yound shoots. Many plants have young shoots that are redish due to anthocyanins produced in the tender tissue for protection. Anthocyanins are antioxidants

According to the USDA and Freshops, Sunbeam is
an ornamental diploid hop which is not intended for commercial production. However, the cones could be suitable for flavoring beer and ales especially of a Saazer-type aroma profile is desired.
In other words, it should be delicious, but YMMV.

Just an update: The hops are growing faster and faster (about 6 inches a day):

Main hops:
mainhop3.jpg

Shade hop (Sunbeam):
shadehop4.jpg

I've noticed that when it starts to get moiste out (like when it's about to rain) the coco coir really sags (as seen in the first pic), anyone have this problem?

It sags but when it dries it goes back to its shape. It is one of the notable characteristics of the stuff.

Back