racking canes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PaleAleMale said:
what are the advantages/disadvantages of using a stainless steel racking cane vs plastic?

I've never used a stainless one, but my plastic one enables me to see the wort as it flows through it, which can be handy.

A stainless steel one is more durable than a plastic one, and less apt to break.

I use a plastic autosiphon for racking.

beer4breakfast said:
A stainless steel one is more durable than a plastic one, and less apt to break.

Yup. I'm going to replace my plastic ones ith stainless steel ones soon. I've broken the tip off one of my plastic ones by hitting the bottom of the carboy with it as I pushed it down through my carboy cap.

-walker

SS won't melt if you dip it into hot wort. I made that mistake, but it ended up a good mistake since my cane is perfectly bent to sit flush against the carboy, about 1.5" from the bottom.

SS won't melt if you dip it into hot wort. I made that mistake, but it ended up a good mistake since my cane is perfectly bent to sit flush against the carboy, about 1.5" from the bottom.

hahah, you customized your racking cane! im all about the mcgyver aspect of home brew. good work. even if it was by accident.

Back