Nursing Pot size for 1st year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsualPickle

Reaction score
Hey Guys, we`re planting hops this spring and I talked to a couple of growers that said they had great success starting their rhizomes in pots the first year and then transplanting the hops the next spring into the soil. I`m pretty sure they said they used 1 gallon nursing pots but after taking a look at the size of a 1 gallon pot I have doubts about whether that will be enough space for them to get a good root base the first year. Any feedback?

Also, does anyone know what the ideal soil composition for hops is?

Thanks!

1 gallon is way to small if you leave it in a full year. I use at least 18" diameter pots and those are usually all roots by the end of the first year growing season. 20" is usually enough.

Why not start it in the ground? What was the big advantage? When they are in the pot, you have to water them more and pay closer attention. Just amend the soil where you plant them in the first place and then you don't have to worry. Why make more work for yourself?

I use 5 gallon pots. In fact, I have a suburban yard, and my wife is generous enough to allow my hops climb the pergola, but not generous enough to let them run wild and take over the lawn (a la blackberries). So mine have been pot-bound for years. It decreases the yield, because they don't really have enough room, but it was that or nothing.

Dan, the reason for the pots is that we're planting 200 so it makes a few things easier...
1. we don't have to rush to set up a 18ft trellis as they reccomended only building a little 6 foot high one and keeping the pots tight for the first year
2. its easier to control soil for the first year
3. easier to water and control drainage
4. if it turns out they need to be covered due to a lenghty stretch of bad weather we can easily build a simple greenhouse around them

Basically, I think it just turns out you get a better chance of more stronger plants and you don't have to build a huge trellis the first year. They also reccomended not cutting the bines the first year and just letting them die out and the nutrients drain back into the root system which apparently makes them stronger when you transplant them in yr 2.

A 1 gallon pot would be fine. The primary root ball isn't all that big after a year, so if you keep the secondary surface roots feed, no problem.

Basically, I think it just turns out you get a better chance of more stronger plants and you don't have to build a huge trellis the first year. T

I don't think you will get a better chance of stronger plants.

I had a couple plants last year in 12" pots, and a couple in the ground. At the end of the year, the 12" potted hops were probably 6' long, and didn't produce cones.

The plants I put in the ground were growing into my 2nd story gutters, and yielded about 6oz dry each. They have much larger root systems than the potted plants.

Dan, the reason for the pots is that we're planting 200 so it makes a few things easier...
1. we don't have to rush to set up a 18ft trellis as they reccomended only building a little 6 foot high one and keeping the pots tight for the first year
2. its easier to control soil for the first year
3. easier to water and control drainage
4. if it turns out they need to be covered due to a lenghty stretch of bad weather we can easily build a simple greenhouse around them

Basically, I think it just turns out you get a better chance of more stronger plants and you don't have to build a huge trellis the first year. They also reccomended not cutting the bines the first year and just letting them die out and the nutrients drain back into the root system which apparently makes them stronger when you transplant them in yr 2.

We are up against some of your similar timeline issues too. Here's what I would suggest. In order to not "feel" rushed about establishing the 18' trellis. When you receive your rhizomes, plant them directly into your 18" or 20" pots this Spring. Based on your # of plants and also depending on when you start building your 18' trellis...you should be able to transplant the potted rhizomes right into the fields before the end of June. In other words, use the pots until your trellis is setup, then transplant the same season.

I had a cascade in a 5 gallon pot last season that I started late as a cutting. The pot had several drain holes and the roots grew out the drain holes and the bine reached about 13ft. high and produced well. At the end of the season I was able to cut the roots that had grown through the pot and properly plant the root ball in the ground. Sort of the best of both worlds. Some production and still easy to plant.

My 1st year growing I started 5000 in 6x6x6" pots.Last year I planted another 3 acres +- and started them in the ground and built the trellis around them.Its best to do it this way as they will put out 6' roots about 1/2 inch thick the 1 st year.

Back