Over Attenuation Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RmikeVT

Reaction score
I typically get attenuation well over the manufacturer's specified attenuation range. Does anyone else experience this? What do you do to compensate, increase mash temps? or Carapils?

My starter process is as follows -- White Labs Yeast and make 1.5L, 1.037 OG starters (no stir plate), oxygenate with pure o2 and add 1/2 tsp of Yeast Energizer

My last two batches were a (Octoberfest grain bill plenty of munich and vienna) 1.052 with WLP036 Max of 72% and it attenuated 80% to FG of 1.010 and a 1.055 ESB with WLP002 Max of 70% and I took a reading yesterday and it was down to 1.014 which I think is 75%, and it was still chugging along.

Basically, I am trying to brew medium bodied beers and mash around 152-154 and blow the yeast attenuation specified by the manufacturer out of the water. Is this normal, and should I just adjust my brew plan and know that I typically attenuate 5 to 10% more than specified for Medium attenuators.

EDIT: I oxygenate Wort with pure o2, and generally ferment in the low 60s (62*) and bring up to 68* towards end of fermentation (these are ferm temps not ambient).

How confident are you in the accuracy of your thermometer? It took me a long time to find one I trusted. Just a couple of degrees off can have big consequences.

I have the thermowell 600tc or whatever it is. Ice Water is 32.4 degrees and boiling water measures at 212.0 -- so i think its pretty accurate. The error range is +- 1.6 degrees which I know is a range of 3.2 degrees, but I don't think I am that far off. I'd rather just start mashing a few degrees higher or add carapils then buy a $100 thermopen.

I typically get attenuation well over the manufacturer's specified attenuation range. Does anyone else experience this? What do you do to compensate, increase mash temps? or Carapils?

My starter process is as follows -- White Labs Yeast and make 1.5L, 1.037 OG starters (no stir plate), oxygenate with pure o2 and add 1/2 tsp of Yeast Energizer

My last two batches were a (Octoberfest grain bill plenty of munich and vienna) 1.052 with WLP036 Max of 72% and it attenuated 80% to FG of 1.010 and a 1.055 ESB with WLP002 Max of 70% and I took a reading yesterday and it was down to 1.014 which I think is 75%, and it was still chugging along.

Basically, I am trying to brew medium bodied beers and mash around 152-154 and blow the yeast attenuation specified by the manufacturer out of the water. Is this normal, and should I just adjust my brew plan and know that I typically attenuate 5 to 10% more than specified for Medium attenuators.

EDIT: I oxygenate Wort with pure o2, and generally ferment in the low 60s (62*) and bring up to 68* towards end of fermentation (these are ferm temps not ambient).

I had the same issue with my system. No matter what I made, I overattenuated a bit. I just rolled with it, and mashed a bit higher.

Thanks Yooper. I just think Im making super yeast with a starter and some yeast energizer and pure o2. I am going to compensate by raising my mash temp 2 degrees on future brews. I am just so nervous that I am going to get yeast that hit their numbers and I will be left with an underattenuated beer. I would much rather have a dryer beer than a cloying beer.

Back