Brushless 12V DC high temp brewing pump (vs March) ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
Has anyone used these brushless 12V DC high temp pumps for brewing ?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HPSSNU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Brushless means that they need a special controller, like this:

HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : ESC, UBEC, VR>Under 20 Amp

These speed controllers are used in RC and need a servo type input, which is no problem for me to rig up.

Are these pumps any good ?

Can one make a March pump variable speed by using a light dimmer switch ? (ie are they universal ACDC motors ?}

Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to change the flow rate on a march pump you adjust the output with a ball valve you don't adjust the voltage. The amazon pump above might be capable of pumping hot liquids but it does not mention if it is food safe or not. Your beer might end up tasting like plastic.

For the price they aren't worth taking a chance on. If they were $50 maybe.

I just ordered 2 March pumps.

Not being a mag drive pump means here is a high probability of contaminants such as lubricants in your wort. The other problem being hot-side aeration with this style pump.

brewman - I hope you got a better deal than ours...

I looked at yours. I wanted the inline center feed so that the pumps self drain when mounted facing down. So I got these.

Amazon.com: March High Temperature Pump for Brewing Home Brew: Everything Else

I try to support any vendor that comes on these forums and helps. Honestly, I don't know if I'm too picky, but its been hard to do so.

We like picky, when you are spending that much on something, you should be picky. I haven't used that style yet. Let me know how you like them.

Back