Looking for a better way to recirculate wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KUbrew

Reaction score
I've done several AG batches and noticed that every time I go to recirculate the wort that I disturb by grain bed when trying to gently pour my wort back into the MLT. I have recently tried pouring it into a funnel attached to a hose and gently running it down the side of the MLT, which works but is very slow. I was thinking of building a something almost like a flysparge setup that would allow me to sprinkle my recirculated wort back onto my grain bed. I was thinking of attaching a large funnel to a 5-way connector and then having 4 pieces of cpvc attached with holes drilled into the bottom. This way I could just dump my wort into the funnel and let it slowly drain onto the grain bed without the grain bed being disturbed.

Any thoughts? Or any suggestions that might be a little more simple than building this rig?

Pouring down the sides is probably not a good idea. You can get channeling between the grain and the side pretty easily.

I've often set a big perforated colander on top and poured the wort/water through it. It breaks up the stream quite nicely.

I just throw a styro foam plate in there , then pour into the plate. You could also just throw a sheet of foil in there.

float a sheet of tin foil on the wort above the grainbed. Punch a bunch of holes in foil with a fork. Pour your vorlauf on an area of the foil without holes and it'll drain gently through and around the foil without disturbing anything.

Easy peasy

float a sheet of tin foil on the wort above the grainbed. Punch a bunch of holes in foil with a fork. Pour your vorlauf on an area of the foil without holes and it'll drain gently through and around the foil without disturbing anything.

Easy peasy

thanks, I Like this idea. Simple and not another piece of equipment sitting in my basement, I'm definitely going to try this next weekend.

Easy peasy

This is what I do, though I don't bother with poking the holes in it anymore. Works like a charm

Back