AG vs Extract: Less Farts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you fart more from AG or extract?

• AG

• Extract

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't know I only did a few Extracts and I drink Commercial cask conditioned ales.

I have a good volumetric throughput but I think it's more organice and somehow healthier.

Wanna smell?

It seems to me that homebrew flatulence is (to some degree) a symptom of drinking green beer. At least that has been my experience. I haven't noticed any substantial change after switching to AG.

I always fart alot.... Alot. I noticed after drinking a HB wit last night (hadn't had a beer in a few nights) that the next morning (today) my farts have been RANK... they smell like rotton wheat beer... its really pleasant to me, but the old lady is about to lose it.

i have a bad habit of drinking yeast. i'll pour out bottles of homebrew for other people and keep the yeast on the bottom for myself.

i like it...tasty :) don't think it's really good for my digestive system, however :drunk:

DeathBrewer said:
i like it...tasty :) don't think it's really good for my digestive system, however :drunk:

I wouldn't be too sure about that. There's at least 1 brand of yogurt that advertises the health aspects of yogurt. And aren't yeast and yogurt related? :cross:

As for extract vs. AG, I haven't had enough AG to say one way or the other. I do know that when my beer intake is up, so is the methane production.

Extract brews are going to have a lot more unfermentable sugar just due to the process of making extract, your AG's have better conversion, lower FG's, less unfermentable sugars, etc...it is the unfermentable sugars that the bacteria in your digestive system break down and produce stinky gas. Yeast has nothing to do with it.

With me it's not a matter of how much I fart from beer to beer, it's how bad they stink... I totally agree with david 42, after a night of really hoppy IPA's you can almost tell the type of hops in the beer from the stench of my a$$... my porter is no where near as bad the next day as my APA, people in my office will atest to that(cropdusting is so much fun:D )

fritz_monroe said:
I wouldn't be too sure about that. There's at least 1 brand of yogurt that advertises the health aspects of yogurt. And aren't yeast and yogurt related? :cross:

It is bacteria that makes yogurt and cheese and buttermilk not yeast!!!

This is why this forum has not advanced into the highbrow crowd!
Where is the uplifting moderation?
Is there room only for newbies sharing anecdotes?

but I'm still reading .... I guess I still like to have fun too
:mug:
BTW, SWMBO allows me to pass gas in the bathroom or outside and I'm surely not allowed to rate them

johnoswald said:
BTW, SWMBO allows me to pass gas in the bathroom or outside and I'm surely not allowed to rate them

Wow. Tight leash. My wife hated my farting until our son decided that farts are the funniest things ever. When I fart, he laughs. He comes over and makes fart sounds on our arms and pretends that we just farted.

She's starting to realize that farts are funny.

I haven't done extract/partial in a couple of years, and that was with my son-in-law for his beer.
I do remember stories of farts gone bad when I first started brewing, which was with kits.

hey cnbudz - no offense intended at all
but remember that typing cabability and access to the internet at all times of the day are not what imparts wisdom - even in the world of homebrewers.
Everybody farts, some hold it so as not to offend, others let fly and laugh.
How much that has to do with brewing is not really significant.
So relax and laugh (as you fart away).

Cheesefood said:
Wow. Tight leash. My wife hated my farting until our son decided that farts are the funniest things ever. When I fart, he laughs. He comes over and makes fart sounds on our arms and pretends that we just farted.

She's starting to realize that farts are funny.

I taught Cassie long ago that farts are "DUCKS IN YOUR PANTS!" When I pass gas (which is frequent), she'll yell "Daddy ducks!" She's even taken to blaming me for her own flatulence. Quite the kid.

I seem to notice amber to black beers more likely to generate more gas and in general are orderiforously foul. :D

Haven't noticed AG extract different. I think the undigestables are the culprit. Yeast too can be a factor...

Make a bean-o-beer!!! :ban:

Back