Aging Beer: A Catch-All for Cellar Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I can't think of anything other than a fridge. I don't think humidity will drastically affect capped bottles. Even if they are corked, supposedly the carbonation in beer will keep the humidity high enough in bottles to prevent corkage.

Say you just don't have the room for another fridge. Would storing beers at room temperature for a few months or a year be ok or pointless?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Thoughts on picking up some Cantillon Kriek with some age on it (2011) vs fresh (2013)?

Of course it is. Like to age my own as well, the fresher stock is limited and the older one is more plentiful...for some reason.

Of course it is. Like to age my own as well, the fresher stock is limited and the older one is more plentiful...for some reason.

Given how difficult it is to get Cantillon of any variety here, I would get both. That said, I don't think you'll go wrong either way. Even 2011 has plenty of ability to put some age on it.

It's pretty good around here. I suspect the $18/375ml keeps it on the shelves a little longer. Plus, I think 3F is just less known compared to Cantillon. But maybe I'm imagining that.

I bet. I have seen the Golden Blend sitting in ND for $23/375 but never the Kriek, might need to ask if they can get it.

We got the golden doesjel recently for around $22. I would be interested in cantillon kriek and 3f golden blend if you find that you can't get 3f oude kriek and want to set up a trade.

We got the golden doesjel recently for around $22. I would be interested in cantillon kriek and 3f golden blend if you find that you can't get 3f oude kriek and want to set up a trade.

I will keep that in mind!

Anyone have any HB they are aging/cellaring?

I made a Chocolate Cherry RIS 10.5% ABV in July of 2013.. About 20 bottles remaining. I secondaried the beer on 6 lbs of tart cherries which left it with way too much cherry wine flavor. Over time, that has been fading, being replaced with chocolate and roasted malt flavor. It was brewed with 1 1/2 lbs of dark bakers chocolate..

Interestingly, this thread talked earlier about how long is too long.. The 2011 has slight raisin, fig and sherry notes that the 2012 doesnt. The 2012 is jus smooth, and tastes like a Lienie RIS

Back