malic acid after primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papagayo

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried adding malic acid to their cider after primary to lower the ph? Any reason why this may be a bad idea?

I guess it depends on why you want to do it. Why do you want to?

The pH is never too high, usually the opposite, but for flavor you may want to add it if it needs it. I personally don't like much malic acid in my ciders, and sometimes prefer MLF'd ciders to get rid of excess malic acid so I don't see any reason to add more unless it's lacking some of the acidic "bite" of malic acid.

The acidic bite is exactly why I was thinking of it. I don't like ciders that are too acidic, but if it gets too insipid, IMO that's not so great either.

I've been adding malic acid before fermentation, to taste.

This is from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/scrumpy/cider/cider.htm

"Once the juice is separated from the pulp you must check the pH. If the correct balance of apple varieties is used, this step may be omitted. Few of us are fortunate enough to obtain the correct types so some compensation must be made to ensure that there is sufficient sharpness but that it is not overdone. pH should be in the range 3.9 to 4.0. To lower the pH add malic acid (the principal acid in cider). To raise the pH add precipitated chalk. 1 tsp of pectolase per gallon of juice may be added at this stage to ensure that the cider clears. Traditional ciders shun this step and some can look like cloudy apple soup. Never fear, they still taste great. "

I add malic acid to taste and to ph measurement before fermentation as well. I was just wondering if anyone has ever experimented with using it after fermentation.

Latest posts

Back