Yarrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmcl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a recipe for Saison that calls for .25 oz. of dried yarrow. I can't find it locally, and I'm not paying $20 for 4 oz. of it online. Does anyone know of a substitute? I have no idea what it tastes like.

It is a super common weed and is known for being quite an allergen. It grows all over in MI, with a white, lacy type of flower.

Well, Mountain Rose has it, but they have a $10 minimum before shipping, so I'd have to buy 12 oz., and all I need is .25 oz.

I would be happy to dig up one of mine to send you. What parts are needed for brewing? Leafs, stems, roots? None of mine have flowered yet but I doubt it will be long before they do. Would you like it dried or fresh?

I would be happy to dig up one of mine to send you. What parts are needed for brewing? Leafs, stems, roots? None of mine have flowered yet but I doubt it will be long before they do. Would you like it dried or fresh?

According to the book "Radical Brewing". The dried leaves and stems are used. And it's mildly toxic and exacerbates headaches.

It's extremely bitter as well as slightly poisonous - I honestly wouldn't recommend putting that in a beer. Substituting another bitter herb would probably be a better choice.

ahh, live a little. it's not gonna hurt anyone when used in moderation, and besides, people have been using it to brew for thousands of years. granted, for most of human history, 40 was considered old age, but it will be fun!

I have a recipe for Saison that calls for .25 oz. of dried yarrow. I can't find it locally, and I'm not paying $20 for 4 oz. of it online. Does anyone know of a substitute? I have no idea what it tastes like.

How did yours turn out? I made one similar to o gope yarrow from the Joy of Homebrewing book. I used dried yarrow from a local co op and gale from Midwest. It tured out to be very sour lemony, somewhat good and quencing but it was exactly like a half a lemon added to water what that tastes like as far as the lemon.I thought i added a modest amount too, aparantly not.Anybody else brew this and get this? It advises to use fresh yarrow which was unavailbe at the time,wondering if this has anything to do with it.

Just made my first beer ever- a yarrow beer with barley malt- 3 gallons w/3 oz of fresh yarrow (half boiled, half in the fermenter)

It tastes very lemony. Having never made beer I found this site thru google, hoping it wasn't infected. I guess it isn't!!! Everyone is saying yarrow gives a lemon tatse. I was worried as I had no way to cool the wort down after the boil, and it took 24 hours to cool before I could pitch the Safale s-04 ale yeast. 2 weeks in the fermenter- just tasted it as I bottled it. Recipe from Healing and Sacred Herbal Beers. GREAT BOOK. I used only half the yarrow recommended (all I had)

Can't wait for the two weeks conditioning. Came out with 3.75 ABV only. Oh well, guess I have to add some sugar to the malt next time?

Nice forum you guys have-
peace!

Back