O2 after 12-18 hours w/us-05 and imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joehoppy

Reaction score
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on adding extra oxygen after 12-18 hours from pitch of 3 packs of us-05 on a 1.100 imperial stout. Yes or no?

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on adding extra oxygen after 12-18 hours from pitch of 3 packs of us-05 on a 1.100 imperial stout. Yes or no?

Can't see where it would be necessary. I've just finished my RIS with OG 1.113 and used two packs of 05 and only vigorous shaking and it dropped to 1.024.

With high gravity beers I add oxygen after 12-18 hours (prior to much krausen forming). Assuming you're sanitary about it, it's an extra precaution to ensure a healthy ferment. But I haven't done it without, so can't say it's definitely necessary. Oxidizing the beer won't be a concern, because there's plenty of time for the yeast to consume it yet with the active ferment.

Back