Stainless stell Brew pots question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miketrum

Reaction score
I just got a King Kooker turkey fryer made of stainless steel. I use a long metal spoon to stir it the other day when I was making an ale. It now has minor scatches on the bottom of the brewpot...should I switch to a wooden spoon....is it normal to have scatches on a stainless steel brewpot? I didn't think so.

miketrum said:
I just got a King Kooker turkey fryer made of stainless steel. I use a long metal spoon to stir it the other day when I was making an ale. It now has minor scatches on the bottom of the brewpot...should I switch to a wooden spoon....is it normal to have scatches on a stainless steel brewpot? I didn't think so.

You might switch to one of them long handled plastic spoons sold at home brew shops. You don't want to to scratch the bottom if you can avoid it. I guess wood would work too.

Don't go in there with steel wool pads trying to take out the scratches. That will cause rusting, due to metal in the pads getting into the stainless.

BT - The Care and Feeding of Stainless Steel

Don't use a wooden spoon.... wood can hold bacteria etc real easy. Go with the long handle plastic heat resistant ones if you decide to change.

MrSaLTy said:
Don't use a wooden spoon.... wood can hold bacteria etc real easy. Go with the long handle plastic heat resistant ones if you decide to change.

I thought about that. Just figured that using it in a boil pot with boiling wort (only) shouldn't hurt. I agree that the heat resistant plastic ones are the way to go.

I use a long plastic one too. Wood is generally frowned upon but, like you, I can't see what the issue is since it's being dipped in boiling hot wort.

:off:
I do recall one time my SWMBO made daquiries (sp? $#&%ing hard to spell girly drinks!) in the blender and used a wooden spoon to stir it in the process. Well, the blender ate the spoon and we subsequently drank pulpy, woody, stawberry daquiries.

I suppose even if the wooden spoon did somehow splinter or crack during the boil it'd be left behind during racking and any small pieces would eventually settle out during/after fermentation.

I wouldn't worry about scraches in the stainless, they make look bad but unless they're deep enough to make clean up an issue or they're causing rusting then they can't possibly hurt anything. Clean the kettle real well with bar keepers friend (the powder) it works great and encourages the stainless to form that oxidative layer that prevents rust (plus it'll clean up any rust that's somehow forming).

Back