Last couple batches low carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotastic

Reaction score
So the last two batches I've done...Belgian Tripel and Oatmeal Stout have not really carbed to my likeing.

The Belgian I had out like 3weeks..moved to fridge noticed low carb.....moved back out to warmer temps....back to fridge I gained some carnonation but not a ton.

Kinda the same deal with the Oatnmeal Stout....I've since moved them out of fridge and inot a room upstairs to see if this will kickstart the bubbles.

I'm thinking my problem is the colder weather (live in Mass). I never had this much problem during the Summer and I know my basement has been colder. Temps probably range mid 60's I think...never colder then 60 though.

I know in the summer I was generally 70+ down there. Does it make sense that a beer could take over 3 weeks to carb in a mid 60's enviroment?

Yes. A lot of sense, especially if you find that you get more carbonation when you leave them out longer. Yeast work more slowly at lower temperatures.

TL

Thanks...the other thing that I've been doing on the last couple of batches is utilizing a secondary.

Is there a chance that I'm leaving some of the yeast behind in the bottom of the primary in that sediment and not transfereing enough so that it can do it's job of eating sugar upon bottling day?

Back