Pasturized grapefruit juice looking really odd

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floralfallon

Reaction score
When i began my fermentation of my grapefruit wine i strained the juice and added to primary, when i racked off primary there was very little sediment left behind, today upon opening the dark mysterious door to the wines, i found my grapefruit has almost half an inch of lees and sediment and the headspace in my carboy has increased by alomst an inch! Is this because of the pasturized juice i used? It also looks to be done fermenting, should i do a sg reading this early? Its only been 8 days since beginning this batch *scratchs head*

Sounds like when you racked from primary most of your yeast was still in suspension. And when there's CO2 dissolved in the must it can increase volume, so as it gasses off volume can decrease, but an inch sounds like more than I would expect. I wouldn't be too concerned though. In the future I'd recommend staying in primary at least a week, maybe even two, just to let the majority of pulp and lees to settle out there rather than in your secondary.

8 days is plenty long for it to have fermented dry (done). Taking a sg reading is always wise, and neccesary to know if it is indeed finished fermenting.
Did you ferment it in the carboy or did you just rack it? If you just racked it and it lost an inch in a few days I would check for leaks... If fermented in the carboy, loss of an inch is most likely just the lack of active fermentaion. No foam:) I would rack it soon if you have not done so already.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back