Mutant hop cone? Zeus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crhatfield

Reaction score
003.jpg

Its from my zeus breed. had a few fall off when I was changing how I was hanging them (made it so I could lower the bines as they grow to get more growth) anyways, its got what appears to be a flower head on the end, maybe thats normal, I see it on a few cones. It also has leaves sprouting out of the cone itself. how weird is that.. first year growing btw, so maybe this is common. *shrug*

002.jpg
Here is my trellis btw, have 8 varieties. Cascade, Zeus, Tea Maker, Magnum, Williamette, Centennial, Nugget & Chinook

Zeus and Tea Maker are monsters.. Tea Maker didn't have a lot of bines, but it had one huge bine, thick as my pinky. Zeus is growing crazy and has those cones like that freak one, big as my thumb.

I have no idea about growing hops since I won't get to start until next season. but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn....jealous. Those are pretty.

Next year I'm getting rid of 4 varieties, probably Magnum, Williamette, Nugget and maybe Tea Maker. Just so i can focus on the 4 C's (Zeus is part of CTZ group ie. Columbus, Tomahawk & Zeus) - So if anyone is in Omaha NE area and interested in buying some of those Rhizomes, shoot me a PM. and I'll get in touch come spring. 2$ each for all but Tea Maker, that one is 4$ each and I'll try to get you big ones, more than 6 inches and as close to 1 foot as possible.. That'ss half what I paid for mine btw. You just need to drive down to Plattsmouth to pick them up :)

Back