Fruit addition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhunter87

Reaction score
I've got a nice wheat ale I want to rack onto raspberries, but I don't want purple beer. How long should I leave it on the berries before racking again so I have the nice fruit aroma, but not the color? Or is it inevitable?

I just racked my wheat onto 6 lbs. of thawed frozen raspberries man that was a mistake. I let it sit in the secondary for a week but it pretty much instantly turned it deep raspberry red. I just tasted it when i tested the gravity and the raspberry taste is over powering i cant even taste the wheat anymore. I think next time i make this i am going to use no more than 3 lbs. maybe even 2 lbs.

I think it's inevitable. My blueberry ale started looking purple after a day.

If you want the flavor without the color, I think extract is the way to go.

6lbs?? Wow

I was thinking 6oz/gal for a day, then racking? That's like 2.2lbs or somewhere close

Ya well after i put them in the secondary i was thinking that looks like alot of raspberries, but taking some out was gonna be to much of a pain. When i thawed them there was some liquid in the bags. maybe if you strained some of the liquid and gave them a rinse with some boiled and cooled water you might get less color.

Ugh well I want to use real fruit but this seems like Boone can tell me just what to do to make it good... Extract I guess..

Back