first partial didn't carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelay

Reaction score
I have a belgian ipa thats been in bottles for 2.5 weeks and has just the slightest pssst when the cap is removed. Its a higher alc brew and was also my first yeast cake pitch. The temp. in the basement is around 68. Anybody out there run into this and do I need to uncap and add more priming and recap?

It should be fine. At 68 degrees, and a higher alcohol environment, it might just take a few weeks longer to carb up. If you want to bring a few bottles upstairs where it's warmer, they'll carb up a bit quicker than at 68 degrees.

Don't open them and recarb, your asking for trouble there. Bring them up into the heat for a few weeks if you want them to carb faster, I have a DIPA that's carbing slow too and my basement is in the low 70's

Thanks, thats the answer I kept on running into but was going for a few more opinions. I've been making some pretty decent beer thanks to all of ya'lls help.

Gravity and storage temp are the biggest factors in carbonation/conditioning times...

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

More info can be found here....Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

And here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/bottle-time-bigger-beers-128864/#post1443123

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

chart.jpg

Back