Mmmmm...Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
What's your favorite hop?
Mine has to be Cascade. I think it's one of the most popular US hop varieties. I have a thing for American ales. It's all I make and every one of my recipe calls for a good couple ounces of cascade. `

That like saying: "Which is your favorite child" :D...I haven't used that many but I feel that they all serve a purpose to their beer styles. Cascade is pretty nice though, especially homegrown cascade.

While I liked Cascade at first, I think it is overused. Take a look at US craft beers - I'll bet 75%-85% of them have cascade, especially APA's. I think it's taken the US craft beer industry and turned a lot of beers into hoppy cascade beers. It's just way overused. If you've had one APA, you've had them all. :p.

Me, I love some nice earthy English hops. EKG & Fuggles ftw!

Although I do love them, I'll second the "overused" comment. I do love me some magnum and amarillo as well. But really, everything has it's place.

I have been very frustrated by my inability to get Amarillo this summer. It's tough to say what a favorite hop is, in certain respects. For example (following the discussion above), an APA without Cascade is some other beer altogether - it's not APA. So in that brew it's essential...but not necessarily my favorite. My favorite is Amarillo - I love the flavor and aroma it brings. It makes every good beer just a little bit better (to my taste). Until this hop shortage, I had not brewed a batch without it in a couple of years and I miss it. Luckily, I think I found a source on line and will (hopefully) be back in the Amarillo business in my next batch.

I have to say my favorite is Sorachi Ace. I discovered it after the guy at my LHBS recommended it for a Wit I was doing. One of the best Wits I've ever had.

Also, definitely not overused.

All purpous: Northdown
American PA/IPA Bittering: Chinook
American PA/IPA Aroma: Simcoe
English PA/IPA Bittering: Challenger
English PA/IPA Aroma: EK Gold

Chinook, Willamette, warrior, centennial are among my fav's for American IPA's, stouts, etc.

Can't beat Fuggles and EKG for English beers (my first love, err... second, SWMBO is first:eek:)

Eric

Cascade is my utility, go to, bad ass, show stopper, panty dropper, tongue mopper, over the topper... hop... er...? :drunk:

Back