Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take half the roasted barley and half the flaked barley, add to one steeping bag, tie it off and put it in the boil. Make sure you stir the crap out of the malt or it will stick to the pot and burn. Also keep the bag off the bottom, it'll float at first but tie it off to your handle or something. Boil 30 minutes this way. Then add the rest of the roasted barley and flaked barley to the other steeping bag and put it in the boil, tie off to the other side of the pot. Boil another 15 minutes. Then add your fuggles to the last steeping bag and toss in the pot. Boil another 15 minutes with everything in there. That's a total of one hour.

Lou,

I'm relatively new to brewing and I'm sure your stout recipe is great, but for as long as I've been learning the process I've never seen instructions advocating boiling grains. Since I seemed to be really focused on why we do things as brewers, can you give some insight into this method?

I'm doing it for more flavor. The first batch turned out great. With some things, boiling everything at once, you lose flavors and characteristics of the grain the longer it boils. Adding them in phases brings out a lot more flavor characteristics of the grain. Some people add grain to the ferment primary and or secondary to bring about much more flavor. It's not just about the alcohol, for me it's getting a one of a kind flavor you enjoy and appreciate. Play with your recipes, depending on the type of beer you're brewing, it could mean a world of difference!

I'm doing it for more flavor. The first batch turned out great. With some things, boiling everything at once, you lose flavors and characteristics of the grain the longer it boils. Adding them in phases brings out a lot more flavor characteristics of the grain. Some people add grain to the ferment primary and or secondary to bring about much more flavor. It's not just about the alcohol, for me it's getting a one of a kind flavor you enjoy and appreciate. Play with your recipes, depending on the type of beer you're brewing, it could mean a world of difference!

I suggest reading this. Especially the comment from Yooper.

Lou,

I'm relatively new to brewing and I'm sure your stout recipe is great, but for as long as I've been learning the process I've never seen instructions advocating boiling grains. Since I seemed to be really focused on why we do things as brewers, can you give some insight into this method?

I've never heard of boiling the grains either. I would think the tannins might be an issue not to mention almost no conversion. Steeping yes, but not boiling. If we're talking decoction, that's a different technique all together than just boiling them. I'm not a brewmaster either, but I'm not sure that is sound advice.

When steeping, your basically doing a mash with the grains placed in your water that is at mash temperatures. The typical temp to steep is between 150 to 160 or so. The purpose is to convert the starch in the grains into sugars, and add the particular flavor character of that steeped grain. Many will steep the grains in a gallon or so of water(depending on amount of grain), then remove the grain and add the liquid only to the boil. A steep only takes about 20 or 30 mins, and the grain is placed in a bag so that you can easily remove it from the steeping water. You can also bring your main kettle water up to steeping temp and put your grain bags in for 30 mins, then remove them and fire up the water for your full boil.

Think of it like making hot tea with a tea bag. You don't boil the tea bag, you put hot water in the cup, then let the bag sit(or steep) in the hot water . After a while, you remove the bag and your left with tea in the cup.

Well. Now that my beer is fermenting. How long are the bubbles supposed to bubble in the airlock? It started bubbling I think Sunday night. It was bubbling Monday, after work. But wasn't bubbling Wednesday after work. It's at 66 degrees right now.

gcdowd said:
Oh and I thought this thread died

It usually takes anywhere from 5 to 10 days depending on yeast strain, type of beer, etc. rule of thumb is a week. But just cause it stops bubbling doesn't mean it's done.

Back