Ageing in a carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a second racking? Are you saying that you already moved the beer from the primary fermenter to the secondary fermenter and are now moving it to a tertiary? Just leave it in the secondary in the traditional "cool, dry place" and it'll be fine.

After a second racking? Are you saying that you already moved the beer from the primary fermenter to the secondary fermenter and are now moving it to a tertiary? Just leave it in the secondary in the traditional "cool, dry place" and it'll be fine.

Thanks, I have been bottling the beer and letting it age, so after the first racking I can leve it in the secondary for the 4 weeks then keg it and force carb it.

rrogerstwo said:
Thanks, I have been bottling the beer and letting it age, so after the first racking I can leve it in the secondary for the 4 weeks then keg it and force carb it.

Yes you can. The amount of time you let it condition will depend on the recipe and the style you're brewing. Don't forget that bigger beers like Belgians and generally will benefit more from conditioning than lower gravity beers.

Also check the airlock every now and then, and add sanitizer if the fluid level is too low. Given enough time the sanitizer will evaporate and expose the beer.

Back