All Grain Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandt9299

Reaction score
Hi all, 1 all grain batch under my belt and loved every minute of it, my question is, I have alot of extract recipes that I like alot and was wondering would I use regular 2-row pale grain to equal light malt extract, and what would I use to equal amber LME. etc,etc,etc.Thanks alot in advance.

your best bet is to pick up some brewing software so that you can make all this more scientific and exact. Promash has a trial version.

If you put in the recipe as written, jot down the calculated OG, FG, IBUs, etc. Then, you can delete the extract and add in 2-row to get back to the target gravity. At least, that's how I do it.

That'll give you the basics. The speciality grains (crystal, chocolate malt, black patent, etc) will stay the same, although as you get more experience you can start adding in specialty malts (the kind that need to be mashed, like Munich and Vienna) as appropriate. You also MAY need to make some minor adjustments to your hops if you are now doing full boils (less concentrated mash = higher utilization).

Personally, I think BeerSmith (also with a free trial) is an easier program to work with than ProMash, although both are very good. Just a personal preference.

The conversions are not terribly difficult. You will need to determine your efficienct rate in all grain brewing. Each pound of grain is about equal to .75 pounds of LME and .6 of a pound on DME. Use the advice bird gave and figure 10 pounds of grain equals 7.5 pounds on LME. This page gives info on conversion from grain to extract so you can jsut reverse the process. > http://www.allaboutbeer.com/homebrew/extract.html

Latest posts

Back