Oily Residue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BangorBrewer

Reaction score
Just a quick question:

I recently brewed a wit and I am looking to bottle it today. I have moved my carboy onto the kitchen counter to let the sediment settle before I rack it into my bottling bucket. But I noticed something that I have only noticed once before and it was on my "lost-batch."

On top of the beer there is a kind of oily film. Nothing significant, but it looks similar to the way water with a splash of oil looks: kind of like a rainbow.

My initial thought is that this must be some of the hop oils or something, but I just want to make sure there is nothing to worry about.

The beer smells and looks great aside from that oily-ness.

MT

Weird - I noticed the same thing when I dry-hopped my Edwort's Haus Pale Ale yesterday. The beer seems fine apart from the slight oiliness, so I assume it's not problematic. But I too would be curious to know what it is.

Could just be a yeast byproduct or some oil in the ingredients. If it tastes good, smells good, and there's nothing growing in there you'll be fine.

Welp, I tasted it and the preliminary report is that it is the best beer I've brew to date. I feel like it's spot on for what I wanted. We'll have to see over the next week or so if that oily residue rears its ugly head in the form of a ****ty tasting brew -- but I don't anticipate it.

Hooray!

I think the oily-ness is from when I moved the carboy and sloshed a bit of the krausen-crud-ring and the hops into the wort. I only say this because I hadn't seen any sign of it until I had it on the kitchen counter. This could be a product of better lighting, but after tasting it, I think not.

MT

what sanitizer do you use? star san seems to sometimes leave that appearance, but it harms nothing.

I used C-Brite for the initial santizing and then I used a non-rinse santizer from LD Carlson to fill the airlock.

I think that it was either the sanitizer dripping into the wort or the oil residues of the krausen-ring.

Back