Hopps question - Target vs. Fuggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryodom

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm fairly new to this and we're working on our third kit this afternoon. Well we've noticed that the hops name differ from those on the directions from Austin Home Brew. The hops requirement on the recipe states 1/2 oz. Kent Golding and 1 oz. Target. What we have is 1 oz. Kent Golding and 1 oz. Fuggle. I tried looking around to see if there was even a hop called Target with no luck.

Does the specification for 1 oz. Target mean the 1 oz. Fuggle or did they send me the wrong hop?

jerryodom said:
Hi all. I'm fairly new to this and we're working on our third kit this afternoon. Well we've noticed that the hops name differ from those on the directions from Austin Home Brew. The hops requirement on the recipe states 1/2 oz. Kent Golding and 1 oz. Target. What we have is 1 oz. Kent Golding and 1 oz. Fuggle. I tried looking around to see if there was even a hop called Target with no luck.

Does the specification for 1 oz. Target mean the 1 oz. Fuggle or did they send me the wrong hop?

They sent you the wrong hop. Target is a good bittering hop, fuggles can also be used for bittering, but target is usually twice as high in AAs.
Use the other half of the goldings with the fuggles and a half oz. of any other hop you may have to get close to the IBUs of one oz. of target. Or you may have to go with what you got.

Latest posts

Back