DIY Dip Tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigirishape

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to any form of metal working, and I just ordered a whole slew of goodies from Brewhardware and Bargainfittings, but I neglected to get a dip/pickup tube. I was thinking of ordering a side pickup tube with the SS 1/2" M NPT adapter for the inside of my weldless fitting, but found myself wondering if I could just hit the hardware store and MAKE a side pickup myself faster and at less cost than ordering one would be.

Any thoughts? Anybody done it, or able to offer any feedback on how it "could" be done or whether it would be worth the effort?

If you don't add any tools into the cost you could make a copper diptube using a male adapter, some 1/2" OD refrigeration tubing and a bender. You will need to solder it on.

If you do not solder you will have to use a brass compression adapter to connect to your bulkhead.

Stainless tubing is a game changer as bending the tubing is a problem without the right tools (expensive).

BargainFittings why do you tempt me so! Maybe it has something to do with laziness... hmm...

*edit*
On a side note, I'm loving the keg and cooler fittings. Everything has fit like a dream thus far! Just wishing I hadn't forgotten that dip tube. *twitch*

I made my dip tube out of stainless fittings. I used a 90 and a long 1/2" nipple. Attatched it to my coupling with a union. Cut the end to fit in the corner of the kettle and the sliced the bottom half out. Works great for me, but I had the fittling. Copper would be a nice cheap option. doesn't get much easier than working with copper.

:off: I like that suppliers on this site will tell you how to make stuff that you could buy from them... its nice to know there are still good buisnesses out there! Thanks BargainFittings I'll be looking you up for some weldless fittings for my kettle project!

back on topic: compression fittings and a coper dip tube would be my vote... then you have the ability to take it appart for cleaning if you want.

I use a right angle compression fitting and ~8 inches of copper tubing. I think total cost was 5 bucks or something, they basically gave me the tube because it was a mis-cut at the hardware store. works well, and i can use the return from my CFC to generate a whirlpool if I recirc during chilling.

I made mine out of all 1/2" copper sweat fittings and a 1/2" MNPT to Sweat Adapter, but I had the stuff lying around.

Not a problem. I'm a homebrewer and happy to help any way I can.

Brew Karma. :)

:off: I like that suppliers on this site will tell you how to make stuff that you could buy from them... its nice to know there are still good buisnesses out there! Thanks BargainFittings I'll be looking you up for some weldless fittings for my kettle project!

back on topic: compression fittings and a coper dip tube would be my vote... then you have the ability to take it appart for cleaning if you want.

+1 :rockin:

i had some spare SS tubing and carefully bent it around a CO2 cylinder. I purposefully used a piece too long so i could get leverage, bent it, then trimmed off the ends. Works great and cost me very little.

Back