Stir Plate, Beakers, Wort, and Dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerspitnight

Reaction score
I ordered a stir plate, a 4l beaker, and a 2l flask through the science department here at school - they are showing up tomorrow. And with an anticipated brew day sometime next weekend, I figure Friday after work will be a great time to drink a couple (6?) bottles of Chimay white and throw the dregs into the 2l flask with some wort and try to make a starter. I'll have to water down the wort to hit 1.040, then I will boil it and follow all the steps that are part of making a starter.
A couple of questions though:
Mr. Malty says I need 1.24l of a starter for a 10g batch of beer at 1.053 - fair enough - but since this starter is coming from the yeast in the bottom of the bottles, how do I figure out the size of the starter?
How many bottles of Chimay white do I need to consume?
How many liters of wort do I need to put into the flask?
I am so excited that I have to drink Chimay white so I can brew beer!!!! It is a necessity damnit!

1 start with 10 beers :D and go from there... LOL jkjkjkjkjk
The first step should be about 10X's so 50 ml to 500ml then "I" go to a 2000ml if I'm robbing yeast ;) then to a 4L. I would let it finish fermenting and settle, decant, swirl and pitch.

10 beers it is! Although I am not too sure I'll remember your instructions at that point!
Thanks Jaybird!

Back