Can you save Sierra Nevada yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
I'm putting down a bomber of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and on the label it says "The fine layer of yeast in each bottle is a result of the traditional bottle-conditioning process that produces carbonation naturally"

Does anyone know what strain of yeast this is, and can I harvest it out of the bottle and use it? I've saved and washed yeast out of homebrew, so I know how, just want to know if this is a viable strain.

California Ale Yeast. WLP 001. That's what I've been told, at least, and my Sierra Nevada clones have tasted pretty spot-on (that is...when I don't mess with them in some random way, which I usually do).

I'd agree, buying a smack pack/vial will get you a better pitch of Chico yeast. The beer might not have been stored properly at the store, and that teeny layer of yeast would need to be stepped up a few
times in starters before you'd have a viable pitch.

Sierra Nevada is bottle-conditioned, but not like most homebrew. They filter and then add back a measured (very small) amount of yeast with priming sugar for carbonation in the bottle. As others have said, since it's so easy to get this yeast elsewhere, it's not worth getting it from the bottle.

The answer to the question is yes, you can. If it is worth it or not is up to you.

Back