Nottingham, should I supplement with US-05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Once again, a brewers best kit that I bought has one of the bad packs of danstar nottinghame ale yeast in it. This is an IPA kit I am not taking chances, I rehydrated this yeast and pitched it to a starter today. I plan on brewing saturday. If I don't see active fermentation or activity in the starter by then I have a few options:

1. Ditch the notty altogether and rehydrate and pitch US-05

2. Pitch the notty starter and supplement with pitching hydrated US-05 on top of it.

I am supplementing the kit with 2# honey and a few more ounces of hops, it will be a bitter honey IPA...do you think US-05 is good for this style? I am assuming so.

I am very intrigued by possibly having both yeasts work together and developing my own signature yeast to harvest.

What what you guys do? This is only my fourth brew, but I am learning a LOT, I read how to brew by Palmer in two days time and heave been soaking up everything I can online! WHAT A HOBBY!

if this was some of the recalled nottingham, i'd leave it out of the beer entirely if you have another yeast readily available. using yeast that you know to be suspect is taking a big chance, and you've said that you don't want to do that.

for dry yeast you don't need to make a starter. you can just rehydrate your us-05 (or other dry yeast) in some sterile warm water about 15 minutes before pitching and you're good to go. us-05 is great for IPAs, and below 70 degrees it should ferment quickly and cleanly, allowing your other ingredients to shine through.

i sympathize with the idea of having a "house strain" of yeast. but do yourself a favor and start out with a yeast (or blend of yeasts) you trust. that plus effective culturing techniques will produce a yeast you'll be proud to call your own.

good luck!

Nah I wouldn't bother with the nottingham if it is suspect, US-O5 is a good yeast just pitch it in there and be done with it.

Hey, I appreciate the quick reply! I have never used US-05 but I found some locally and bough 3 packs of it, as well as some cheaper coopers ale yeast in case I am in a bind. I figured since this is a big IPA I would use the US-05. I have never used it before, but from what I understand it's the real deal.

I know you don't need a starter with the 11g dry yeast packs, plenty of cells there...but I thought since the notty could be problematic I could find out quickly if by pitching it into a starter...worst case I am out 2 tbsp DME. No biggie! I love notty yeast, but if I get good results from my first batch of US-05 I am switching.

Hey, I appreciate the quick reply! I have never used US-05 but I found some locally and bough 3 packs of it, as well as some cheaper coopers ale yeast in case I am in a bind. I figured since this is a big IPA I would use the US-05. I have never used it before, but from what I understand it's the real deal.

I know you don't need a starter with the 11g dry yeast packs, plenty of cells there...but I thought since the notty could be problematic I could find out quickly if by pitching it into a starter...worst case I am out 2 tbsp DME. No biggie! I love notty yeast, but if I get good results from my first batch of US-05 I am switching.

2 tbsp DME? That's a teeny tiny starter...How much water did you use?

I have another question, do you think that the US-05 is suitable for an IPA or should i stop and get a packet of US-04? I am a bit of a worrier about my beer, but if the 05 will work good than now need for extra $$$.

US-O5 is very suitable for an IPA, I used it in my freshhop beer and it did a wonderful job. It is a very clean fermenting yeast and it can take a fair amount of alcohol. Stop worrying, it will work just fine, just pitch it in dry, ferment it 65-70 and it won't let you down.

that is what I like to hear! thank you. I have been burnt by this #$%#$ nottingham thing twice. No more...I think I am going to be a US-05 convert for my ales if this one turns out. Notty is so temp sensitive too.

Back