Trying to re-create a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxual

Reaction score
Instead of ordering the Northern Brewer kit for their extra pale ale, I parted it out and bought it from Midwest (to save a few bucks, and because I've enjoyed them so far).

The recipe is as follows:
  • 6# Gold LME
  • 1# Dingeman's Caramel Pils (which I substituted with .5# Briess CaraPils and .5# Caramel 10L)
  • 3oz Cascade pellets
  • 11.5g US-05
Now, it calls for 2oz of the cascade at 60 minutes and 1oz at 1 minute... won't this give me an incredibly, incredibly hoppy pale ale with the cascade being 7.1% AAU?

My question is, would I be better adjusting the hops schedule, perhaps to something like 1.5oz @60, .75oz @15, .75oz @1? Or just 1oz @60, 1oz @15, 1oz @1?

Or do I just rock it out according to NB's schedule?

I'm leaning towards the latter except for the nagging fact that NB lists their Cascade as being as low as 4% AAU...

Any insight is appreciated!

No, because the bittering hops don't add much to the aroma and flavor. The IBUs will be higher. Your changes will actually increase the flavor dramatically.

Back