4th of July Block Party suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I volunteered to make a beer for our 4th of July block party. A 10 gal batch will fill the bill and my plan plan is to brew 5/16/2009. I am looking for suggestions for a style/recipe to introduce my neighbors to beer other than the usual Bud/Miller Lite.

CHEERS!

That's pushing it for the haus pale ale. I didn't really enjoy it fully until 10 weeks after brew day. Cream of three crops gets my vote...guaranteed to please the miller lite crowd.

That's pushing it for the haus pale ale. I didn't really enjoy it fully until 10 weeks after brew day. Cream of three crops gets my vote...guaranteed to please the miller lite crowd.

Ahhh....but that's the rub.... July is a couple months away........LOL.... I love BM's brews too....can't go wrong with either....

Stole Soperbrew's Canadian Ale recipe and toasted 1# of Maris Otter to add to it, was very popular at a party, preferred 2:1 over the cream ale.

7# 2-row
1# flaked barley
1# toasted Maris Otter
Mash ~155*F 60 min

60 min boil
.75 oz Cascade 60
.5 oz Cascade 15
.5 oz Cascade 0

S-04 or US-05 yeast

For my party, i've got 5gal each of these lined up:
Bavarian Hefeweizen
Cali Common
Munich Helles

I figured everyone should be covered with those selections. If i had to pick only one, i would go with a pale or cream ale.

I'd steer clear of the overly hoppy as well as the excessively cloudy if you're looking to make converts. Wheat beers are generally too cloudy to a person who's only used to star-bright, straw-colored 'barley-pop'. You'll have too much salesmanship to do.

Cream Ale and Blonde Ale are both good choices. Whatever you can get in a package and have star-bright for 04JUL09. BM's Centennial Blonde is a fabu choice, as is his Cream of Three Crops.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks for all the suggestions. BM Centennial is leading the pack so far as I have all the ingredients on hand :)

BUT I will give all the suggestions a closer look b/4 I decide plus I have a few of my own. I'll keep you informed.

Centennial is definitely cheaper and easier but the Cream Ale will be clearer and more like BMC with less aging.

Back