Tubing Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
In order to reduce wort loss in my mash/lauter tun, I ran about 5 inches of plastic tubing through the stainless steel braid so that it would siphon from the lowest point. Now I'm wondering if the tubing will leach nasty chemicals into my beer. It's the same kind of tubing as on a racking cane. Should I replace it with some tubing rated for higher temperatures?

In order to reduce wort loss in my mash/lauter tun, I ran about 5 inches of plastic tubing through the stainless steel braid so that it would siphon from the lowest point. Now I'm wondering if the tubing will leach nasty chemicals into my beer. It's the same kind of tubing as on a racking cane. Should I replace it with some tubing rated for higher temperatures?

It shouldn't release anything bad, it is high temp tubing. On that note I would keep a good check on it from time to time and see how it is holding up.

Same boat as you, and have a portion from the braid going up to the connection for the out connection. I'm just going to watch that section for weakness or just any gunk.

Since you didn't state what type of tubing the short answer is yes it very well may leach chemicals and possibly off flavors. Some types of plastic more so than others.

I use TPR (Thermoplastic Rubber) tubing anywhere it comes into contact with hot water or wort.

Since you didn't state what type of tubing the short answer is yes it very well may leach chemicals and possibly off flavors. Some types of plastic more so than others.

I use TPR (Thermoplastic Rubber) tubing anywhere it comes into contact with hot water or wort.

All I know is that it's the clear plastic kind that normally comes with a racking cane and is not labeled.

Thanks for the responses, I'll check it periodically.

Back