84 hour lag time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
OKAY remember my post about the WLP380 that I did not have time to make a starter for? Here is the brew I made, can you see why I was upset that there seemed to be NO life in there at all?

4lb Pilsner
6lb Wheat

124 deg. for 20 min
153 deg. for 60 min
168 deg. for 15 min

Sparge with 175 deg. water

Boil 60 mins

.5 oz hallertau at 60 min
.5 oz hallertau at 15 min
.5 oz sweet orange peel at 15 min
.5 oz crushed coriander at flameout

OG 1.052

It took 84 hours to begin fermenting, there is 3" of krausen now, in a few hours she will be blowing off! Never give up... 84 hours of lag time!!!!

I arrived here in ABQ today and just asked my wife to humor me and check the fridge... she was like, oh yah... it is really bubbling away into the blow off... there is about 3" of foam on it now... YES... I was so excited!! This is my first time using orange peel, coriander and the WLP380... I am excited to taste this stuff

I always tell people to wait at least 72 hours before getting concerned but if you know it's under pitched then this is par for the course.

Glad it's going well.

orfy said:
I always tell people to wait at least 72 hours before getting concerned but if you know it's under pitched then this is par for the course.

Glad it's going well.

Just make a starter or repitch a recent cake. Your fermentations will be very strong and start within 3 to 4 hours.

I always make starters, except for this one time... I am an airline pilot, so when I brew, I have to brew NOW, because I am never home. I dont have the luxury of time sometimes.

Well, it appears that underpitching with the WLP380 will not give me a blow off, the fermentation seems a little anemic... good krausen, but no blow off from this one. Hopefully it will still taste well!

Well, I pitched a vial, no starter... had no time... so I was not surprised...

The Pol said:
I always make starters, except for this one time... I am an airline pilot, so when I brew, I have to brew NOW, because I am never home. I dont have the luxury of time sometimes.

Doesn't SWMBO enjoy those tasty brews you make? Maybe it's time for you to teach her to make a starter!! that way you'll always be ready, and she'll feel more connected to the beer! Also, because you're doing the "cooking", shouldn't she be doing the cleaning (It's probably very apparent at this point that I'm VERY single)?

Just a thought

Back